iTunes deletes apps from iPhone if External HD is not connected

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gooutside, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gooutside macrumors newbie

Furious at Apple for the first time since I've bought products from them.

1) Bought a new External HD and transferred entire library there using "Consolidate Library" in iTunes 9, which also requires me to upgrade to iTunes 9 Media Organization. Whatever.

2) Sync iPhone while External HD is NOT plugged in. In the past the phone would just skip over the files that it knew weren't around on the external. NOW the phone deletes alllll the apps that aren't present due to the disconnected drive. Deletes them! With all their data! Gone!

This is not acceptable! Does anyone have any ideas about why this could be happening? I'm losing my ever-loving mind over this!

Thanks

2. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

If your apps are not available, iTunes will assume you ave deleted them and sync your iPhone accordingly. Keep your external HD plugged in. Or move your iTunes library to your local disc to stop it happening.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I have my library on an external drive too... No issues here if I sync with no HDD attached.

4. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

I had this problem and what I suggested fixed my issue.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Well... That doesn't "fix" the issue really. You are basically saying just don't do it.

Don't sync without it plugged in or don't keep the library on your external.

6. gooutside thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a new behavior for iTunes 9 as it has not happened before. I wish I could say I could sync only when the HD is plugged in but the reality of my situation is much different. I am away from home with the Macbook a LOT so it's not always feasible to have the external around. Very, very irritating bug, most especially so due to the data loss associated with deleting the apps. I lost 5 months of workout data on Gym Buddy because of this.