iTunes deletes my apps from iPhone when I sync.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by felixen, Oct 16, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

When I buy an app on iPhone and then connect with my iTunes, then right before sync'ing iTunes would always ask me if I wanted to transfer my purchases, and if I choose now iTunes will delete the file from my iPhone. I got tired of this question, so I hit the "never ask this again" box and chose "Transfer purchases".

BUT now it's like iTunes thought I had chosen "Don't transfer purchase", because each time I sync my iPhone, iTunes will delete the apps I bought on my iPhone. So while iPhone and iTunes are still connected I found out that I can re-download the app on my iPhone (I know I can do this on the comp as well, but thats not the point) and then NOT hit sync, but instead I can right click my iPhone and hit "Transfer purchases" - THEN iTunes will not delete my apps, but in fact sync them as it's supposed to.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? If I could just uncheck this damn "Don't ask me this again" box I bet that would fix everything.

Also, if there's nothing to do in iTunes I guess I can use a Time Machine backup. In that case, I dont want to restore a whole Time Machine image (if I can avoid it that is); So I'm thinking maybe I can just restore iTunes settings somehow??? I dont know how, but maybe all iTunes settings are stored in a plist or something????

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You can reset warnings on the advanced tab of your iTunes Preferences.

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried hitting that button but it still doesn't ask me if I want to transfer purchases, so it still removes my stuff :(

What happens if I overwrite all the iTunes plists I can find with older plists from my Time Machine? any change that might help?

I'd try and find out myself, but I dont want to ruin anything. After all I have no idea what I'm doing :D

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

What happens if I overwrite all the iTunes plists I can find with older plists from my Time Machine? any change that might help? I'd try and find out myself, but after all I have no idea what I'm doing :D

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

That indeed bears the chance of ruining your library. I wouldn't have the nerve to try it. :eek:

Does anyone have a suggestion?

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol me neither then :) at this point I have just turned off auto sync, so I connnect my iphone, right click it and select Transfer Purchases and then I can sync it. It's a little annoying, so I hope someone can help. Otherwise I'll learn to live with it ;)