iTunes detecting my iPhone as new

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TEHi, Jan 18, 2011.

1. TEHi, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

TEHi macrumors regular

This is the third time it happens, I connect my iPhone (32gb 4.21 no jb) and itunes forces me to choose between setup as new phone or restore from backup. Choosing any of them will take me 1 hour to copy all the files and re arrange the apps again. Which I already did 2 times before.

What should I do to keep all my apps and music/videos? Am I doing something wrong?

I've tried many cables and usb ports, restart pc/phone, but same thing.

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

any solution here? trying to help someone swap phones and cant backup because of this same issue

4. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I know you probably aren't, but you are not trying to connect different phones to your iTunes account are you? The phone you are connecting is the only phone that connects to this PC right? And you also don't connect that phone to a different PC

5. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

I only have an iPhone and an iPad. They only connect to this computer.

Both devices have shown up with this error message many times. I've tried a new install of itunes and even windows, but same problem appears.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

How did you remove iTunes before reinstalling. Using the add - remove programs in Windows won't completely remove iTunes. To get a "CLEAN" install, you also have to remove all associated programs, such as.
    1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925