Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
I guess I'm to dumb to know but after I backed up over 16gbs of data to several data DVDs (my iTunes files with them) and having to re-install (or re-build) my G4, I can't get iTunes to recognize my library after copying the iTunes back into the correct folder.

I started having storage problems with my set-up which was this:
original G3 HD (now upgraded to a G4-500 via Sonnet) was only 6gb, so I bought a Maxtor 60gb internal HD and configured the jumper setting to "master" according to the manual. My original OS 9 I installed on the new 60 and put OS X jaguar on the 6gb. Silly me. I soon ran out of space and after trying to install MYST IV and not being able to select the installation drive I was forced to "rebuild" the computer. I backed up all my data to DVDs and re-formated, after re-configuring the jumpers on both HDs to "cable select" (as I now understand to be correct) and re-installed both OS 9.2.2 on the 6gb and Jaguar (plus all the upgrades) on the 60. By doing so all my preferences are new and any logs were wiped out, so my guess is that since I launched and re-established my iTunes account any music I had prior to the re-build is now being ignored. I try to import, or "add to library" and nothing happens, the files are there but iTunes refuses to see them.

Any help??? :( :confused: :confused: :(

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Sparky's said:
I'm either being ignored, or no one knows how to help?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have you tried dragging the songs onto the iTunes icon in the dock? That usually works for me. Otherwise, it might be a permissions thing. Repair permissions?

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Word, I've spent 2 days trying everything. Yes repairing permissions didn't do it, dragging the files didn't even phase the dock, like they were'nt even there. I've e-mailed Apple through the proper channels and after 2 days have not heard a reply (I'm not giving up). I think it may be my bad. I archived the files using Toast 6 to my DVD burner as "data" along with all my other files and important stuff. I can copy back any other file and all is OK. On the Apple web site (when you download a lot of files from iTunes, that little warning window shows up about backing up your files) I read what they refer to as "the way to back up files is by creating a special play list, and burning a DVD from within iTunes. I didn't do that :eek: so I think I may be screwed :mad: :( If I don;t hear from someone who can help (either here or Apple) I'm looking at about $300 worth of tunes down the drain :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks for the response! ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Can you import a regular MP3? Or is it just your iTMS purchases that won't import? If you can add a regular MP3, I suspect something is wrong with your iTMS account. If not, it's probably something in your file system, or your copy of iTunes is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled.

Edit: another thing to try is importing the songs onto another mac. If that works, you know the song files are not messed up, it's something with your computer.

Sorry if you've already tried these things; just thinking out loud.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
The files are in the correct place in the User>(Me)>music>iTunes>iTunes Music> (all the folders that iTunes creates). what I see when I try to "Add to Library" (cmnd+O) is an iTunes icon with a tiny little padlock in the upper left corner. when I see the files in the list any songs I have downloaded or imported since the re-build show up as normal m4p files. The files that I retrieved from the DVD backup have the same name string i.e SongName.m4p but they have a "(protected file)" at the end of the extension. I think what is happening is that these files are looking for the previous version of iTunes that was on my HD and now that I have re-installed the iTunes some kind of "licensing " issues are getting in the way. Now unless I can "unprotect" these files I'm out about $300 worth of music :mad: I have tried several times to contact Apple "through the proper channels....." but have not received "a reply in 72 hours" :mad: :mad:
Apple really gets a big "stick this up your a** " from me, and has now lost a customer :(
not that my business matters one iota to them

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
iTunes mp3 files with the little padlock symbol in the corner are indeed, as you assumed, files that are protected. Normally, if you double click one of these, it will open in iTunes and ask you for the username and password of whoever bought the track from the music store, assuming that the tracks have'nt been authorised more than 5 times by 5 different users. So, question: how many computers have you authorised to play the tracks in question? Any possibility you're out of users, according to the drm agreement?

Other than that, have you checked the read/write permissions for the files in 'Get info'? Maybe they're just locked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.