iTunes Directory Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRobby, Apr 19, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I plan on transferring my iTunes folder from my PC to a new 27" iMac when the refresh happens so I can get the music and iTunes to work seamlessly between the conversion. I plan on using Drop Box. I went to the iTunes folder on the PC and saw that there is a folder called "Previous Libraries".

Three questions:
    1) Can I delete the libraries or do I need to include these when I transfer to the iMac?
    2) When exactly are these libraries saved here. the dates are so sporadic
    3) What is the purpose of the previous libraries?

2. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

3. jedib0p macrumors member

The "iTunes Library" file is a binary file that contains information about your library. All the files inside the Previous Library folder are simply backups of the iTunes Library file. They are usually changed with new iTunes releases and the previous release version of the file is stored in the folder.

They aren't necessary and you can delete them.

4. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

thank you for your help

5. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

After trial and error, I finally hooked into the appropriate google search, to assist in handling this particular chore, as well lucked up on some other need-to-know stuff as well: moving PC itunes to Mac. (I kept putting terms in quotes initially.) Whatever ya do, read through a few of 'em first, so you won't have to start from scratch later to get it "right".

6. ZipZap macrumors 601