iTunes disaster. Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cavara34, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Cavara34 macrumors member

Recently I was forced to reinstall my OS. I found that my iTunes was gone (10.6.3 which I had previously downgraded to form 11 using Pacifist). Now, when I try to download either 10.7 or 11 (which I despise), I'm told I don't meet the system requirements. Nor will it allow me to download 10.6.3. I tried to use Pacifist again to open 10.6.3 and this failed.

The other problem is that even if I could get my old iTunes back, I assume it won't open my music which (due to an ealier f-up, is in two separate folders). If I had iTunes again, I don't know how to direct the music (and the art and notes I painstakingly attached) to the program.

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

2. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Upgrade the OS. To upgrade your iTunes I believe you'll need to be at 10.6.8. Just go to the Apple menu and click on Software Update.

You have no iTunes app at all? That's part of the OS, it seems odd it wouldn't be there after a fresh install.

3. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying.

The iTunes folders were still there and the music, but the icon on the sidebar was crossed out. I don't understand why I need to upgrade the OS to an app supported by the OS I have now. I was even able to get 11 with the same old OS somehow.

iTunes 10.6.3 goes through the installation process and I get the message: "The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes (I had 11 but then downgraded). Would you like to download iTunes now?". I click yes and the progress bar finishes but there is no iTunes and no error message.

4. 0x0x0x0, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

0x0x0x0 macrumors regular

Down in the Ether, looking at your bits...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1575

----------

Might be hosed, can you not just re-download the library with v10 installed? Or just add the media to a new clean library- AFAIK all the metadata is actually stored in the media itself...

5. Cavara34, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

I can't install any version, apparently. v.10 or 11.

My music files still show the v.10 icon, and when I click them iTunes temporary comes up on the dock with the message about not being able to "read the Library.itl because it was created by a newer version", and there's a download prompt to a new version which doesn't work. Yet no iTunes icon is to be found in Applications.

If purchasing a newer OS is the only option, it's the only option, but I don't see how that makes any sense when I operated v.10, 11 and then 10 again on my current OS without any problem before the reinstall. I've never heard it said that OS 10.6.3 won't support any version of iTunes now. So what difference should the reinstall have made?

6. Bear macrumors G3

10.6.8 is a free update. Do a Software Update on your system. Deselect software you don't want updated.

7. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot, the 10.6.8 update worked. iTunes 11 is working fine. I still hate it but I feel like I've played with enough fire lately and might not try the Pacifist downgrade again.