iTunes "display is not authorized" error message

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boston04and07, Jan 23, 2010.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I've recently begun to get an error message saying that "my display is not authorized to play" TV episodes downloaded from iTunes, and that I need to connect a display that is "HDCP-compatible." I use a new Mac mini, bought in December, and a 24'' HP display that is also fairly new (purchased last summer). Up until now, I've had no problems playing these episodes on my mini, nor on my older computer (where they were first downloaded). Both computers were hooked up to the same monitor via mini-DVI-DVI / DVI-HDMI cables. I've searched these forums as well as around the internet, and most of what I've found is from people using mini-displayport. I also haven't found anyone who randomly had this problem start after having viewed content on their machines successfully. It was literally not happening one day, and then started the next. I never changed anything on my Mac, either. Any ideas?? I'm stumped :confused:

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I would try it with a different TV if possible, just to rule out a hardware fault in the TV.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

vaguely remembering there was an Apple issue with this, you might try an mroogle search.

4. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hmmm...yeah, all of my google / Mroogle finds were related to people having this issue with the mini display port, I didn't find any having the issue using mini DVI. I mean my mini's got the mini displayport as well, so I guess I could just try switching cables eventually. Just so weird how it randomly started after I've been watching these episodes for months with no problem...hmm :confused: