Itunes/djay: Creating a library from an external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumstixnstones, Jul 18, 2010.

1. drumstixnstones macrumors newbie

hey i am DJing my friend's party in about a week and all the music i am using is on an external flashdrive. i do not want this music on my internal HD for (a) the sake of space (b) so i can keep my own personal music that i listen to and my music that I DJ with seperate.

My question is that is there a way that I can create an iTunes library with all the music on my flashdrive? I am using djay software for the party so I would want to be able to switch to the itunes library on the external and have the djay program recognize that and for me to be able to use that library (which would be easier as far as loading songs rather than drag-and-dropping from the flash drive itself).

Essentially, I am asking how to create an iTunes library off an external Hd, separate from my interal HD itunes library, and if I am able to switch between the two when the flashdrive is plugged in.

thank you.

2. advres Guest

advres

Hold down option when you click on iTunes. It will ask you to select which library to use or create a new one. Create a new one and store it on the flash drive with the media. Once you have a new library, import the songs from the flash drive. Done.

Now iTunes will launch into whatever library was last opened. The only time you have to option open the app is when you want to switch from Dj library to personal library.

I do the exact opposite. I have my local drive set to music I download for work related edits before moving them to my raid and my personal library lives on a FireWire drive.