iTunes: Does it duplicate all the music files I add?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doxavita, Jun 6, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Today I noticed that when I drag and drop files from a folder onto iTunes, it does add them to the playlist indeed, but it also makes a duplicate version of the songs in the iTunes Media folder too?! So for every file there's a second copy in that folder? What do I do now? I don't want to waste disk space like that... :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't want it to make a copy, go to iTunes > Preferences and uncheck these:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG
    Or you can leave them checked to let iTunes make the copy, then delete the original.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what's the safest way now, to clear that iTunes media folder and start from scratch? (don't want to delete the songs from the original folders)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have all the originals, you can delete all files from iTunes, then delete everything in the medial folder, than re-add all the originals with the checkboxes unchecked.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So is it safe if I also delete the "Album Artwork" folder too? + the iTunes media one, and what about those separate single files?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your artwork is embedded in the files by you manually adding it, you won't have any artwork in that Album Artwork folder, so you can delete it. If your artwork was downloaded from iTunes and resides in that folder, if you delete it, iTunes can download artwork again, re-creating it.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would they have iTunes make a duplicate copy in the iTunes Media folder? What purpose?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The copies in the iTunes Media folder are the ones that iTunes is using and referencing. If you delete those, the songs will become dead links in iTunes. I'd recommend letting iTunes manage it's files, and deleting the originals wherever you stored them instead. Otherwise you're going to have to rebuild your entire library.

jW

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, so the second check mark: "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" that prevents the files from being duplicated.

What about the first checkmark?: "Keep iTunes media folder organized", what happens if that's checked while the second one is not?, will that mess around with the original songs?

10. JamDonut macrumors member

well whilst you have nothing in your library, there will be nothing to organise and once you have re-built your library (if thats what your doing) it just keeps your files in you iTunes folder organised, in short, no, you won't mess anything up, but there really is no point in having it unchecked, why would you want to prevent iTunes keeping your files organised when you could well have thousands :rolleyes:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fact is, if you already have an organization established for your music, it's better to prevent iTunes from organizing it. For example, my music is organized in folders by Genre, then by Album Artist, then by Album, then by songs in each album. iTunes doesn't use that method, so having iTunes manage my library would screw up my already-organized library. The library size is irrelevant. It's whether or not you want to keep your organization method or let iTunes use its method.