Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
For some reason when I insert a CD, iTunes does not recognize any of the song titles/artist name. It only lists the songs by "Track 1, Track 2" and so forth. Does anyone know why it does this and how I could fix it? Thanks

EDIT- I think this may be the fact that I wasn't connected to the internet. If this is the case, is there any way to go about having all the details appear without having to go online? I'm using a friends computer right now and I won't have internet access for a while.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That feature requires internet connection because it accesses the online database (called Gracenote AFAIK). Sorry, but no internet, no automatic song names. :(

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There is no way of doing this in iTunes without being online. It works by creating a hash from the CD and looking this up in CDDB online. iTunes does not have it's own built in database of CD data and the data itself is not on the CD.

I have seen rippers on other platforms that allow you to use a local database file available for a CDDB competitor but as fat as I know iTunes cannot do this.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
mad jew said:
It's done mainly by song length, isn't it?

Oh, and Peter Griffin, CDDB is the same as Gracenote. :)

I believe it's mostly song length.

CDDB (the product) is run by Gracenote (the company). Gracenote charge for access these days which caused a lot of people to be upset as when they started CDDB it was free to access and lots of people uploaded the titles for their CDs and were then charged for access!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You know, you can use the "Get CD Track Names" function under the "Advanced" menu, to get the names after the fact. iTunes tags the files so you can update this info at any time. This si quite handy if you rip some CDs without the 'net (say on a notebook) then you can tag them all later when you are online.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.