iTunes doesn't back up my iPhone 4 automatically

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shmootz, Sep 29, 2010.

1. shmootz macrumors newbie

I think I may have used a terminal script on my mac a while ago to turn off automatic backups on my old iPod, and I found a script that is supposed to reactivate it, however doing so doesn't seem to automatically backed up my phone. I discovered this problem when I restored my iPhone yesterday, and there was no saved backup!

Also, I have now set up my phone as I wish, so I right clicked on my phone in iTunes and select Backup (in order to make a manual backup), however, the backup takes only 2 seconds.... I fail to see how it backed up my whole phone in this time.

UPDATE: I just called Apple tech support and the guy told me that a) iTunes does not make automatic backups anymore and b) the reason backups are taking 2 seconds is because most of my data is from apps, and app data (i.e. high scores, etc) doesn't get backed up in iTunes. Is ANY of this info correct? I believed that iTunes did backup app data...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make any sense.
    I think you got a misinformed tech on the phone.
    Sounds like that script/hack you installed is still causing problems with the itunes backup feature.

3. shmootz thread starter macrumors newbie

Great :(. Calling again... any ideas of how to fix?

4. rhazz macrumors newbie

5. shmootz thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thinking, any way to back up individual elements of my phone without JB? I.e messages, folder data, etc and then put them back after?

Wish there was a solution to my original problems!

6. shmootz thread starter macrumors newbie

Did another manual backup. Took 15 seconds for 7.31gb to be backed up (out of the max 14.01gb on my iPhone 4 16gb).

Is this normal yet or should I still be concerned?