iTunes doesn't import all songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gillespie, Dec 12, 2010.

1. gillespie macrumors newbie

I have an extensive mp3 album collection, somewhere around 20,000 songs or so.

I've noticed that sometimes when I search iTunes I don't always find all the songs that I know I have.

I'm attaching a screenshot of one example.

How can I fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

try running the problem MP3's by MP3 Validator (Mac) or MP3 Val (winsloth) - iTunes can be picky which MP3's it likes ...

3. gillespie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I ran MP3 Scan+Repair on that album. Results are in the screenshot.

I guess I'm going to have to run it on all the collection.

How do I import this album into iTunes to check if that was the problem before running this on all files?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. joshuwack macrumors member

I also came to this forum to post about the same thing!

I too am having troubles importing MP3s into iTunes. Quicktime and OS X's Quick Look feature have no problems playing my troubled MP3 files. But when I import to iTunes, the songs do not show up in my library.

iTunes acts like it is importing them. For instance, I see the progress bar and the messaging for analyzing playback and volume correction. But the MP3s do not appear in my library.

The weird thing is if I navigate (through Finder) to the location of my iTunes library on my hard drive, the files are there! Sitting there in their nice little folders.

I have tried the following to correct the problem to no avail:
    • using MP3 validator to rebuild the MP3s
    • removing all ID3 tags in case they were somehow messing with iTunes
    • saving the MP3 as a WAV file and then converting the WAV file back to MP3

Any ideas?

5. GGJstudios, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have mp3 files that you can't import, try opening them with Audacity and then exporting them as new mp3 files. Recreating them in this way should make them work with iTunes.

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

try to add one of the repaired files to your library. if it imports alright, it is safe to assume that the other files were/will be fixed too.

7. joshuwack macrumors member

I don't know if this was some sort of user error or what, but when I restarted my computer and opened iTunes, all of the songs were there. Actually, multiple copies since I tried to do multiple imports.

Probably won't help anyone else but this was my experience.

8. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

iTunes

I have a question about the iTunes store Top 5 songs when viewing an artist's albums. Every time I go to view an artist's album(s), the Top 5 songs for that particular artist change constantly. Is there something wrong with iTunes? It has been doing this to me since the new iTunes came along.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean by that? Are you talking about the order of the tracks listed for an album? Or the order of the tracks for that artist, regardless of the album? How do you have them sorted? Do you have Album, Album Artist and Track Number properly filled in on all tracks?

10. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

No. You know when you are viewing an artist's album on the iTunes store, there is a Buy Album right underneath the album cover as well as a Like and Post button?
    Underneath that, there is, for example the Band, The Black Keys, and it says Top The Black Keys. I have the button on Songs, which is the top 5 songs of that artist. You can push the Albums button as well. The top 5 songs on that list always changes. It's on the left side along the 'More the Black Keys', 'iTunes Essentials' and 'Top Rated Playlists'. Sorry for the confusion.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, can't help you with that. I never buy from the iTunes store.

12. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Where do you buy from? I am looking for alternatives.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been buying and ripping CDs for decades. I've even ripped my vinyl albums now. I don't buy or download online. Usually if I hear a song I like, it's already in my library.

14. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

How do you get the album art onto iTunes, if that's where you rip your CDs, and onto the iPod or iPhone for a nice view?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I usually get album art from Album Art Exchange or from a Google search.