iTunes doesn't know where I moved my music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IAmNotMyName, Apr 20, 2007.

1. IAmNotMyName macrumors newbie

I have a bunch of music that I originally ripped to my local drive on the macbook, but have since moved over to an external USB drive. iTunes doesn't know that the files have been moved. How do I get it to refresh the song list so that it knows what songs have been removed from the local drive, as well as which ones have been added to the external drive?

thanks

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

You can tell iTunes the location of the music folder in the preferences. It's in the Advanced settings.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you only move part of your library? Your best bet may be to move it back and then use the above Advanced Settings method to get all the tracks onto your external. Alternatively, you could drag all your music over to the external and then open iTunes with the OPTION key pressed and choose the external library from the dialogue box. :)

4. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I moved all of my music off of the local drive, but have since added more, plus I frequently move music from the external drive back to the macbook to change what I have to listen to while I am out. iTunes doesn't seem to be able to keep up with it. :)

In my PC days I used winamp. and there was a way to have it refresh the library's list. It would churn through a drive and remove listings for deleted files, update the new ones, and remove duplicates. I was hoping iTunes had a way to do that.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know of a way to get iTunes to do this for you, but there may be a script that'll help you here... Because of the way it keeps a database, it's better to do all your moving, renaming and editing from within iTunes rather than Finder or Explorer. :eek:

6. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it looks like Super Remove Dead Tracks might do just what I want.

Nice site, I'll have to poke around a bit and see what else is in there.