itunes doesn't like some of my old mp3's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bpetruzzo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I have some very old mp3's--like eight-ish years old. Itunes doesn't seem to like them. When trying to import them, they just don't show up in the library. It must have something to do with the encoding because if I run them through FFmpeg they import just fine.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to automate that process. Maybe using Automator or something? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

2. devburke Guest

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know they're not importing? If you're looking under the artist of the track, it's possible that the tags just aren't set. Do you have a "Recently Added" smart playlist, and if so, do the songs show up there?

3. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I second devburke's suggestion as this happened to me this weekend. I had some songs that had no tags, and it appeared like they weren't added to iTunes since it didn't even display the "Importing" message box.

4. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

I like to standardize all my id3 tags, so after I import something the first place I look for it is under smart playlist of recently added songs. They just don't show up. I've looked elsewhere too, thinking maybe they didn't have any id3 info at all, but they're just not there.

5. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

I eventually found the app 'max' which does what I need it to do well and for free:

http://sbooth.org/Max/