iTunes doesn't open when I plug in my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johneaston, Feb 1, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

It's actually done this for several months but I've only just decided to try and rectify it.

In iTunes, the "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" tick-box is ticked but it still doesn't do it.

I'm stumped. Any help appreciated.

2. JamesMB, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I tunes made some changes, a few versions back, that stopped this. If you look closely at the tick box you mentioned, I bet it is shaded out, and you can't change it. If you open iTunes prefs, and click devices, and untick the sync automatically box, iTunes will open and sync, and you now have access to that other check-box. I wanted it to open but not sync, and after playing around with those two options, for awhile, I finally fooled/got iTunes to work like it used to.

Edit:
    Looks like the latest update messed that up as well. It wont even let me check the auto open box unless the auto sync box is unchecked.

3. Safeshot macrumors newbie

Ive just posted a similar question re itunes not seeing my iphone, i just tried what you recommended, no difference - anything else worth trying?

thanks
    Graham

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you read the "Edit" in my post. Looks like the open function now has a direct bearing on how the auto sync is set in iTunes, so until they change it, I guess we're just gonna have to click the icon.:D

5. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i think some people were complaining about the auto-open thing. i personally liked it but you know we also loved the rotate lock on the ipad but apple thought "hey that switch should be useless, why does it have a function. lets make it useless". fortunately we will get it back soon :)

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah I liked it too! And for the people that were complaining, it was very easy to uncheck/turn off.:D