Itunes doesn't sync my playlist on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chogall, Jan 25, 2011.

1. chogall macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I already have a few playlists on my iPhone. And recently, I added a new playlist in my itunes library and I would like to have it on my iPhone. So I tried two ways:

1) in Itunes, I clicked on File/Sync "my Iphone"
    Result : nothing. My playlist wasn't transferred to my iPhone.

2) in Itunes, I clicked on my iPhone, in the left column, then I chose the music tab, sync music was already checked, I checked my playlist in the list, and then clicked "sync" at the bottom right.
    Result: again, nothing. It wasn't transferred.

So I really don't know what is going wrong here ?! How come I could transferred all my other playlists a long time ago and that now it doesn't work anymore ?

All the songs of my new playlists are checked on the left, so they were correctly transferred to the itunes library. But they really don't want to go to my iPhone now...

Thanks for your help!

chogall

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Could you post a screenshot of your iTunes Summary page (the bottom part where it has options) and the Music tab/page.

3. chogall thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is.

The playlist I want to upload is checked, though we can't see on this screenshot (but you can see it's written 40 songs, top right).

Attached Files:

4. mpiro90 macrumors newbie

After you checked your playlist, did you check 'Apply?'

5. chogall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did!

When I clicked apply, I remember it told me that 4 apps will be removed if I decided to continue. This is because I unchecked 4 apps in the apps list (applications tab). So I clicked yes and then it synchronized calendars, apps, etc...but not music!

Now, in the music tab, there is no more "apply and revert" buttons, but just the "sync" button.

6. JamesMB, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

in the summary tab, you have "sync only checked songs and video" checked. If you have that checked, you have to check the individual songs, not just the playlists.
    In the left pane click music at the top and verify that you have "EACH" of the songs checked that you want to sync.

7. chogall thread starter macrumors newbie

In music, all my songs are checked. I have 1603 songs in total. All checked...
    And the songs from the playlist I want to add ARE among these 1603 checked songs...

I tried to uncheck the "sync only checked songs and videos" from the summary and sync again, but it also doesn't work...

Any other ideas ? :(

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have you looked at the "songs" tab on your device, to see if the music is showing up there and just not getting transferred as a playlist.
    It may be time for a "clean" install of iTunes, apple has a guide on their support site.

9. chogall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, there are none of the playlist on my iPhone.
    And even more weird, there are 1603 songs in iTunes library and only 1466 in the iPhone library. So there are some real sync problems here...

Do you suggest to reinstall iTunes ? Will I lose all my playlists if I do that ?
    Have you seen my problem elsewhere before or is it quite unique ? lol

Thanks a lot

10. JamesMB, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm usually the last one to recommend a reinstall of anything, because it usually doesn't fix anything, and because it is a big PITA.
    But that said, I don't know what else to do, and you sure don't see anyone else offering any advice. If you decide to reinstall iTunes, make sure you do a "clean" install, and that means removing all the associated applications that run with, and are installed with iTunes. Just removing and installing iTunes by itself is usually a complete waste of time.

It is certainly possible. I would make a backup of my music library, just in case, and browse to the folder that contains the backups, and drag a copy of the latest backup to the desktop, where it will be safe.

Yes, but it is usually because they have the playlist selected, but don't have the songs checked.

11. JamesMB, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I just noticed something that I had forgotten, not only do the individual songs have to be checked in the main music tab on the left panel, but they also have to be checked in the playlist itself.
    One other option is to select "entire music library" instead of "selected playlsits". That should sync every checked song and all playlists.