iTunes doesn't want to close!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajdb9, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

Hi.
    I am going to resort to a hard restart, because OS X won't let me do a normal one.
    Whenever I go to close iTunes, it opens again almost instantly, in a hidden state. I have no iTunes-related widgets, and the only apps I have that could possible be affecting it are GimmeSomeTune and the iWow 2 plugin.
    When I go to restart it comes up:
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas on why iTunes can't shut?
    Thanks

2. wootalicious macrumors newbie

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

don't know how to solve it, but before shutting down/restarting run sudo killall -9 iTunes in terminal

4. wootalicious macrumors newbie

maybe a fix

the way i fixed mine was i just quit everything excluding itunes, and (although its unhealthy for the computer) just unplug and restart. havent been having any problems since.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's not something you would do to a computer.

You probably need
    Repair Permission
    Repair Disk

and get more ram. How many songs do you have in the library?

6. wootalicious macrumors newbie

tried

i tried those multiple times(never worked), and while having the problem upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 4GB of RAM. so its not that. and as long as u have everything besides itunes shut down, OSX has a special feature for power losses, and treats an unplug just like a power loss. just plug it back in. ever noticed the "magsafe" power cord on ur mac? magnetic cords are so if the power cord is pulled, your whole computer wont go down. and just run repair permissions afterwords and you'll be fine.

7. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

ok. thanks guys. will try those things suggested. i really want to get more ram - but 2x 2gb is reasonably expensive!
    @ Consultant - my iTunes library is not ridiculously huge (or tiny) - I have 7.79GB 1494songs 4.1days :).
    What sizes of libraries do fellow 'itunes-won't-shut' complainants have?
    :apple: out

8. wootalicious macrumors newbie