itunes domination over?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SilentLoner, Nov 17, 2011.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I dont know if this is the right thread, if it isn't can someone please move it but I see that google have launched google music store. Now with google being so vast what do you guys think about itunes' domination in the online purchasing enviroment?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

until someone has a real advantage over iTunes I don't see it happening. Amazon and Walmart both offered cheaper music than itunes, but they still never really managed to to grab a significant portion of iTunes market share.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Amazon and Walmart were not a threat because their offerings aren't as convenient as iTunes.... and I don't think their libraries were quite as large.

This is not the case with Google Music. Their software integrates completely into Android and in many cases gives you the option to purchase and download music without ever touching a desktop computer.

iTunes isn't going anywhere, but I fully expect iTunes to start losing market share in music sales.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

walmart offered songs for like $0.60, a very large advantage over iTunes, especially after they went to $1.29. However the walmart music store is now dead and no longer exists.

Amazon actually has an option to automatically add the purchased music to itunes or windows media player. Amazon also offers a pretty large library... they may not have some of the same indie bands, but they certainly had all of the same mainstream and top 40 music and still never managed to become entirely relevant.

Google is really offering nothing unique to the online music stores.

most people will stick with iTunes because it's what they know. iTunes became popular because everyone pretty much had an iPod, and it was easy and convenient to add and purchase music through iTunes. I don't see many people switching to google other than a few android users.