iTunes Doubles Collection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MadDog31, Apr 24, 2009.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I searched for this up and down and for some reason can't come to a solution.

I was making a double-backup of my music folder (merely copying the folder over to another external hard drive), and I noticed my mp3 collection has doubled in size!

I've tried finding duplicates but it pulls up a very short list of the usual suspects that I know aren't dupes. I looked in my music folder directly only to see my regular mp3s with no duplicated files.

How do I get rid of these "phantom" mp3s?

2. broncopde macrumors 6502

Could it be that you had your Music folder all filled with your music, dragged and dropped it into iTunes so that it would contain all those songs, and you had the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when added to library" option checked so that it copied an additional copy of those songs into the Music folder? Sorry, that is wordy, but hopefully it makes sense to you. It's late.

3. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, since it was managing my music, it has also managed my movies and TV shows which takes up additional space in my mp3s folder.

Case closed. But what helped me figure out what folders were large was Drive Inventory X. Nice little app.

Ian