iTunes Download page isnt loading properly...7.7 on the way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellodon, Jul 7, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

It seems that the section that should have the download links isnt showing up. Could this mean they are working on those links..to make them links to download the new versions of iTunes?

Check it out....i tried it on a few computers and none are loading. Connection keeps timing out just in the area where those downloads are:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

The store is currently down so something is up there right now, could we be getting 2.0 in addition to whatever new products are coming to the store? Or maybe the store is down because of the App store?

My fingers are crossed. The word on the street is that the store should be back up by 3AM EST (12 Midnight Pacific). Lets hope this is something sweet.

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

3. davidlw macrumors 6502a

See the front page of this forum Mac Rumors it has info about that.

4. bigtar macrumors member

As noted in other posts, it will need to be available by 5AM pacific time on Thursday due to the midnight launch in New Zealand.

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh damn....I didnt see whatever you're talking about but I was hopeful! haha.

Whats the deal with it?

I'm still hoping that this store closed/download error is going to mean 2.0 is hitting today at some point. High hopes!

6. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

UNFORTUNATELY, its working fine for me :(

7. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

The page seems to load fine, but the column at the left that says "Download iTunes 7.6" spins for a while then displays this error:

The connection has timed out

The server at swdlp.apple.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

(I'm hoping that "temporarily unavailable" is what's going on and it's because they are putting a new download there :) )

I checked with a friend of mine and he's seeing the same thing. No one else here is getting this? It's just that side column...I guess it could just be a problem with their download servers - but it just seems odd considering we're anxiously anticipating something that is going to appear right in that spot:

[​IMG]

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

On my iPod touch the "Download iTunes 7.6" loads fine.

9. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

But do the buttons appear under it? That's what I'm talking about...the text "Download iTunes 7.6 Now" appears, but everything under that doesnt...I just tried on my iPhone using Edge and it's getting the same error. Again this really could be nothing - or somehow just in my area (??) but I hope that it's a sign that iTunes 7.7 is coming :)

10. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I also hope iTunes 7.7 with the App Store/ 2.0 is coming but the entire page loads successfully on my iPod touch.

11. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Now that the store is down it is a possibility...

12. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Also, everything is loading fine on my PC, darn, I was actually hoping for an error :p

13. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Yay!

Attached Files:

14. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's been down just over 2 hours I guess. Supposedly coming back up by 3AM EST (45 mins) but I dunno where that came from...could be down til noon, who knows.

Could be routine maintenance. Could be MB or MBP refreshes that were rumored. Could be app store and 2.0 related. I'm hoping for that last one!

15. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's after 3 and the stores still down - so that 12AM PST I guess wasnt true. Gonna check back in the AM I suppose. I hope 2.0 happens at some point today.

16. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Well I'm waiting up till something happens, cause I won't be able to sleep any ways.

17. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Hah, I'm still sitting here refreshing the pages too. But I'm getting beat and who knows if this is going to stay closed til 6, or 9 or noon or what.

18. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Yea same here, :D and re-runs of Family Guy are starting to get a bit old... I just sure hope that it something happens soon.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

IMO, i would never say this, but i think it's something pretty big. They never take this long to change things and add in some new pages.

Unless some people fell asleep on the job...

20. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

I wouldn't blame them, probably one of the bigger tasks they will try to accomplish getting the App store up flawlessly, with Mobile ME, and iTunes 7.7...

21. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, really needed to hear that when I was about to throw in the towel. Hahaha.

22. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a pretty big deal to take your online store down for even 20 minutes, let alone 3 hours. And Apple is big enough where 3 hours is a LOT of sales. So this is major. When they take it down for a keynote it's usually an hour or so...this has been a while. Maybe they WERE intending to have it up by midnight PST but it didnt work out.

This really could be 2.0/app store and maybe even mobile me a couple days early.

That iTunes download thing is weird too....even if some of you arent seeing what I'm seeing.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

But after all, who the hell buys a computer at 2AM? :eek:

24. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

That is true, it is the lowest traffic period, but I have purchased things from Apple at around this time, not a computer, a backpack, but that was once in a lifetime that I would do that...

And still nothing...:(

25. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Alright that is it, it's 1AM and I have to be up at 7AM I'm calling it a night, just check in the morning, and maybe once at 4AM,

To all those staying up: Have Fun!!