iTunes Downloads without Credit Card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thecrackerjack, Jul 12, 2008.

1. thecrackerjack macrumors member

Hello,

I have found it rather frustrating trying to download a FREE app from the app store on iTunes and it simply won't let me.

What happens is it takes me through a screen and asks me to enter in my credit card info. This is confusing and I think unnecessary as I want to download a FREE app and I don't see the need for them to have my personal information and credit card number for this.

Is there any known way (besides Jailbreaking) that I can get these apps legitimately from the iTunes app store without giving away my personal information and credit card number?

Thanks.

**Possibly sticky?**

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

What exactly are you trying to D/L as I've just D/Led a few free apps with my account which is funded by gift cards (Currently have $0.00:eek:), Maybe if you fund your account that way you could D/L it.

Also why did you say Jailbreaking? That has nothing to do with what you want to achieve (D/L a app) does it?

3. thecrackerjack thread starter macrumors member

When you Jailbreak you have access to online repository lists. There are can find most applications (Free kind).

I'm still on the hunt for a non Credit Card way.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Oh OK, But you seem to have missed my Gift Card option that I said.

5. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I bet your'e in Canada like me, you need a credit card now for the app store... yea no joke

6. thecrackerjack thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'm in Canada.

No gift cards are not an option.

It isn't just the credit card enforcement that I am objecting to it is having to either give them money or give them access to my money that I am objecting to.

If the application is actually 'free' then why is it they require finical information from the user? (still need it with a gift card in Canada).

Is there no way around this?

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Have you thought about creating a US account with gift cards as you don't need a credit card to D/L apps from US iTunes.

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

They need the credit card because you need a full account. Apple doesn't know if you're only going to buy 'free' things. The credit card needs to be there for when you buy things with a cost.

While I appreciate that some people are still leery of giving credit card info online these days, there really is no risk. Not only is it plenty secure, but your credit card company isn't going to hold you responsible for unauthorized charges. At least no credit card company I've heard of in the last 4-5 years...

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Seconded. I can't believe people could be paranoid about giving their credit card to iTunes, of all things. They already got it when you bought your iPod/iPhone, and they won't charge you if you don't buy anything.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

They just want to stay out of the system, man. Someone might be watching...

But I agree...who cares? I find it hilarious when people refuse to sign credit card machines because they're worried their signature will be floating around on the internet...I mean...come on.

11. thecrackerjack thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I think this is taking things the wrong way and there is a larger scope.

Just to clear things up I'm not 'afraid' or 'paranoid' that my credit card will be leaked.

How did they get the credit card number if the computer was purchased with cash? (Just to contradict the statement above of they have my number from when I purchased the computer).

The only reason I want to open an account without spending any funds and giving out my personal information is well because I don't deem it to be any of Apple's business for 'free' applications.

Yes, I understand they are providing a service. But do you think that by giving them your credit card number (address, name, postal/zip code, gender, date of birth.... etc) they wont use it to track your spending, play big brother and sell their 'findings' off to another company. This is just as bad as Google.

I again don't see why it is 'required' to give out personal information to use a 'free' application.

Not paranoid, I just don't want any more junk mail and telemarketers calling me thanks to another 'study' from a friendly company (Apple, Google, Dell.... etc).

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think you're over-thinking it. They do it because it's the system they build. The iTunes Store handles purchases is one way, and that way requires a credit card to do it. You click on buy and the system does its thing. To not require a card for free items would disrupt that. Sure, they could spend the time/money and fix that, but it's probably just not worth it for them. How many people are only EVER going to purchase the 'free' items on iTunes and nothing more? Probably not many.

13. thecrackerjack thread starter macrumors member

Having some programming skills I can say it isn't much more then afew lines of code to do the validation for free or not free.

Coding isn't the problem. Apple is collecting stats on everything you do on the iTunes store.