Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Me gots a question:

When Apple says "By XXXX all songs in the iTunes store will be DRM free", does that mean that they will all have a DRM song, and then for some extra money they'll have the iTunes Plus option, like they do now? Or will it just be that the only option you have is to purchase DRM Free?

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Me gots a question:

When Apple says "By XXXX all songs in the iTunes store will be DRM free", does that mean that they will all have a DRM song, and then for some extra money they'll have the iTunes Plus option, like they do now? Or will it just be that the only option you have is to purchase DRM Free?

They seem to be actually removing the DRMmed options, as far as I can tell. Certainly the tracks I upgraded to iTunes plus are no longer available in any other format. Nor do they cost any more than before they were 'plussed' (though I still had to pay upgrade price)

Obviously I don't know Apple's plans, but that's my observation, which is consistent with when plus originally appeared too, from what I remember (?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.