iTunes DRM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomamon, Jan 6, 2009.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Ugh, I just went into iTunes and I have over $50.00 of DRM.

I wouldn't mind upgrading some of it, but they force you to upgrade all of it. I don't really find that fair at all.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Quit yer b#@%^ing! I'm at $191.37!!! I don't know who the genius was that thought this all or nothing thing was a great idea. George Carlin isn't THAT much funnier at 256k.

3. Barbs macrumors regular

At some point is all music going forward from itunes going to be DRM free? Or will they have two version of each song at different price points?

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

There are going to be 3 different classes of songs (.79, .99, and 1.29) and I think when it goes live in april all songs will be DRM free. As of now 80% of the itunes songs are DRM free (iTunes +).

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

My upgrade was only $6.60.

I for-see all the top 10's being the upper dollar amount ($1.29) starting in April. So no more .99 top songs. They may even go to the Top 15 songs in every genre to $1.29, but I hope not. I will just buy more music from Amazon (tax free, and cheaper).

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Holy crap! We should all start e-mailing and complaining, I have a support address for iTunes.

7. BayouBengal macrumors regular

If it makes you feel any better, 99cents has been the standard since iTunes Music Store launched and adjusted for inflation it should $1.17 for the songs at launch. But then of course you can argue that bandwidth is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time so Apple's margins are getting even better compared to launch.

8. Oktober macrumors regular

To convert my music collection to DRM it would cost me GBP £70. Hate to think what the rest would cost. Anyhow, this DRM music is it so you can have your music on lots of Mac's/PC that you own. Say I owned 4 Mac's (I wish) and I could copy my entire music collection each of them without any problems?

9. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

I never thought about the non-music albums. I bet Dave Chappelle sounds better at 256kpbs.

Since they are "slowly" ramping up the DRM-free library, I would actually going thru your list of purchased music and seeing which ones are not available yet.

In the middle of the day, the amount of DRM-free upgrades available to me went up! At least there is a LITTLE bit of control, but the longer you wait, the bigger bundle you'll have to upgrade, whether you like it or not.

I'm personally waiting until I get the "explicit" vs "clean" lyrics issue resolved (see my related thread warning people before they upgrade)

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

yes. once you upgrade to "plus," all restrictions are removed. If you right click on a non-plus track and view the details of the song in itunes, you'll see that there is a "Fairplay version" assigned to it. The original drm agreement changed after the first 3 or 4 years. They modified the number of burns and simulateous computers it could be on.

on a "plus" track, there is no mention of fairplay. fairplay is apple's proprietary technology for DRM

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Stupid question, but where do you find this DRM upgrade info in iTunes?

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Right hand side of the store, upgrade my library.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks. I looked all over for it last night and never found it. I will check again tonight.

14. MacMalv macrumors regular

i dont have that!!

15. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

If there are things you don't want to upgrade...
    Copy them somewhere, Remove them from your library, then leave what you want to upgrade.
    Now, do the upgrade.

16. mzd macrumors 6502a

unfortunately that doesn't work. i'm on my work PC and i don't have any of my DRM library here, but when i sign into the iTunes Store, my upgrade list contains all the DRM tracks available so far.

17. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

if you read the FAQ on iTunes plus, you will find that it is a batch all or nothing approach

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

tons of other useful info

18. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, but I still don't see it. I am sure that I have at least a few tracks with DRM, but perhaps there are no Plus versions of those tracks yet and so the link doesn't show up. Is the link there only if you have something eligible to upgrade?

19. Oktober macrumors regular

Thanks for the confirmation.

20. Maxington macrumors 6502

I had 50+ songs and an album and it costed me $14.xx bucks. Not bad and I went with the replace the old song and delete.

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Of course, you don't know how the amount that Apple is paying to the record labels has changed, so you can't really know if their margins are higher or lower than at launch.

Correct. The link only shows up if there are tracks available to upgrade.