iTunes - duplicate cover art?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcs37, Dec 2, 2007.

1. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

I bought a few albums off Amazon.com's MP3 download service but the artist name differs in each song in this CD. They all are part of the same CD but iTunes shows them as separate albums in Cover Art. Is there anyway to keep them merged under the same album such that they only appear ONCE in cover flow? I see three of the same albums and it's annoying. :)

I DID set them all to be "Part of a Compilation", they all have the same album name, and they are ordered correctly (i.e. each one knows it is song X out of N total). What else can I do other than change the name of the artists to be the same?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

Look up the info for each song in your iTunes and look VERY carefully at the differences - it's often a very subtle difference in punctuation, or a capital letter ('of' versus "Of" for example), or genre type (soundtrack versus rock, for example).

3. mcs37 thread starter macrumors regular

mcs37

Can't find it...

When I get them all under the same listing, it pre-fills the common fields, i.e. the album artist, the album, the year, the track #'s, the # discs, it's a compilation.

I KNOW it has to do with the artist. If I sort by the Album Artist column, it will re-arrange Cover Flow so I only see the one album. GREAT! But then it loses the order of the songs within the album. Dammit! What do I do? I guess I want to tell iTunes to GROUP BY Album Artist, then ORDER BY song # in sequence (if possible, otherwise its defaults)

Very frustrating!

4. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

Wish I could help further - all the times I've had this I was SURE I was going crazy. Keep checking for differences. Any one else with a thought?

5. lbj300 macrumors newbie

Itunes Duplicate Album Art

I recently read a post on Itunes having duplicate album art for compilation albums. I had the same problem till I realized inputing various in the "Info" :)"Album Artist" field allowed for various artist on same album with one album artwork displayed in cover art. Hope that helps you, too.:)

6. 6mt15 macrumors member

As stated above, coverflow and album art views in iTunes sort using the Album Artist tag if it is present, and the Artist tag as a backup. If you leave this blank, the default display is "various artists". Easy way to fix the entire album is to select all the tracks, get info, and check the album artist box leaving the field blank. Hope this helps!!

7. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Ah, I knew it was something! Thanks