iTunes duplicate remover!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simondemartini, Nov 1, 2009.

1. simondemartini macrumors newbie

I have recently added about 10,000 songs from my friend to my itunes library, i already have about 4,000 of them, so I have about 4000 duplicate songs and I would like to know about a good, free itunes duplicate remover.... any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Hi-light "Music" in iTunes, then click the show duplicates button.

Attached Files:

3. Apple Architect macrumors regular

adding friends song

Surely that is illegal. I do hope that you own the songs that you have added.

4. simondemartini thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't want to select every other song in itunes... that about 4000! Unless there is an applescript or something to select every other song, i would be happier

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The Show Duplicates isn't really that good if you plan to do a mass delete of files. Cause it'll flag a song as a duplicate if the tags match. Lots off songs from Limewire and other sites are poorly tagged so it's possible you end up with different versions of a song similarly tagged and so it gets listed as a duplicate. So you should still do a quick listen of the duplicates to make sure you're not deleting something you'd like to keep.

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

There's also the option of showing "exact duplicates" if you hold down the Option key when selecting the menu item.

8. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

Are there any good apps to remove duplicate songs from iTunes on a Mac? Any free ones? I don't know what happened by when I moved my files from my old PC to my new MBP, I duplicated and even triplicated all the songs.:mad: I am using SL by the way and have the newest iTunes version.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Ohnoes! The DRM police have arrived! Shut up.

I use Dupin from Doug's Applescripts. It gets the job done.

10. ptsube macrumors 6502

It's one thing to hate DRM, it's entirely different to steal 10,000 songs.

11. irwan macrumors newbie

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Second this. For some reason when I load up the wifes mac mini from our iTunes library a boat load of files are duplicated. Run the script, creats a dup playlist then go in and delete. It also gives you options for finding the duplicate files.

13. solomanii macrumors member

Any suggestions on something that removes music and video dupes?