Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

placebo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
OK. I got rid of itunes (don't ask), and I went to download it again, but now when I try to install it it says "there is nothing to install." But I have NO ITUNES APPLICATION ON MY COMPUTER! HELP! I can't play any music! Someone help.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Check the folder Library/Receipts (the top level one, not the one in your user folder). Delete any .pkg files having to do with iTunes. Then install your new iTunes.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would add a slight change in that recommendation to suggest that you move those files to the desktop instead of deleting them, so you can put them back if something goes wrong. But I was about to type in the same advice, before I got scooped. ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I would add a slight change in that recommendation to suggest that you move those files to the desktop instead of deleting them, so you can put them back if something goes wrong. But I was about to type in the same advice, before I got scooped. ;)

I suppose so...if you want to be really really safe. But if iTunes is no longer on the computer, there's really no need to keep the receipts around. I guess I'm just reckless...a wild cowboy of sorts. ;)

placebo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
thanks guys!! fast responses! your posts fixed my problem! i was going insane.

placebo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
here's another question: i'm trying to put all my music on an external firewire, but everytime i open up my music from my external firewire, it copies it back to the main hard drive.. i can't install itunes on my firewire it says it can only be installed on a start up drive. any ideas?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
WildCowboy said:
I'm no expert on this, as I don't use an external drive for my music, but does this article from Apple help at all?

Another option is to go to the iTunes Advanced Preferences and set the iTunes Library location to be on the external drive. This will have iTunes keep its own organization scheme on the external drive, and when you add songs, they will automatically copy to the external drive.

Because otherwise, while Wild Cowboy's suggestion works really well, if you buy music from the iTMS, it will still copy to the internal drive and not the external drive....

placebo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Another option is to go to the iTunes Advanced Preferences and set the iTunes Library location to be on the external drive. This will have iTunes keep its own organization scheme on the external drive, and when you add songs, they will automatically copy to the external drive.

Because otherwise, while Wild Cowboy's suggestion works really well, if you buy music from the iTMS, it will still copy to the internal drive and not the external drive....

yeah.. i did your suggestion, i think that'll do it. i'm gonna try restarting it and see what it does then.. it's doubling up some songs but i deleted the duplicates and i think it's ok.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mkrishnan said:

Isn't that essentially what the article says? The instructions aren't specific for an external drive, but it's the same thing. When they tell you to navigate to the new location, you just go to the external drive.

Edit: Apologies in advance...I don't mean to come off as being defensive about my answer. I'm just trying to understand the difference between the article and what you suggested.

placebo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
WildCowboy said:
Isn't that essentially what the article says? The instructions aren't specific for an external drive, but it's the same thing. When they tell you to navigate to the new location, you just go to the external drive.

yes.. i looked at each of your posts opposite when they were posted :)

thanks again guys!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
WildCowboy said:

Oops, my bad. :eek: I skimmed it, and I thought it was the one telling you how to turn automatic organization off.... :( Sorry.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Oops, my bad. :eek: I skimmed it, and I thought it was the one telling you how to turn automatic organization off.... :( Sorry.

No worries...just glad to see I'm not going nuts.

Well, maybe I still am...who knows...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.