Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I have my itunes enabled on two computers a desktop and laptop. My desktop computer is fine, but it did not have all of the music that the laptop had. The laptop HD failed. My iPod does have the music and playlists. I have only used the iPod with the laptop which had the hard drive failure.

I did a search and it appears that I can purchase software to move music from the ipod to computer. But is this necessary? Can I hook up my iPod and sync the music and playlists? Will that delete the music on the iPod that is not on my desktop?

I did set up an external hard drive and have backed up my computer. Hard way to learn a lesson...

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Syncing music between iTunes and any iPod only puts music on the iPod from the computer, so yes you will lose the extra music on your iPod if you do this (Apple set it up this way to not facilitate music 'sharing'). You need third-party software to extract the music from your iPod. There's lots of it out there, though. Try searching Version Tracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.