iTunes EQ goes weird on 11.1.2

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Osullivan1, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having problems after upgrading to iTunes 11.1.2?

First of all, iTunes refused to sync music new to my phone. I managed to fix this eventually, though it still doesn't work great.

However, after the update, my EQ has gone strange. If a preset is selected, it will sound good for the current song, but then when the next song starts playing, the song becomes tinny (especially the bass) and the song just sounds empty (technical language there, i know :p).

Has anyone else had problems with this, or can think of a way of fixing it other than just turning the EQ off?

2. zippydog macrumors newbie

Temporary fix: Switch EQ off and back on again

Having the same problems. Since updating to iTunes 11.1.2, the EQ is apparently turning off with every new song even though the EQ "On" box is still checked. I can fix the problem by turning the EQ off and then back on again.

By the way, I don't use EQ presets for individual songs, but I do use a customized EQ profile for everything.

Assuming this will be fixed in time, but in the meantime have been using the trial version of the "Boom" app ($6.99) from the App Store to keep from driving myself crazy switching the EQ back on.

3. daladim macrumors newbie

Exactly the same for me.
    I use an EQ preset, and every time the song changes, the EQ goes completely weird, and I have to switch it off and back on to fix the issue...

4. aarchitect macrumors member

It's not just the EQ for me, everything sounds muddy and distorted. There is no high end. It's like everything is being played behind a blanket. At first I thought there was something wrong with my speakers (Audioengine A2) or my DSP, but it's definitely something wonky with this version of iTunes and Mavericks.

As a check, I did an A-B comparison using Vox and Clementine and they both sound normal, with full clarity. I haven't messed with the EQ settings as I never use them.

5. bobright macrumors 601

Odd this should be fixed though not something we'd need to rollback?

6. aarchitect macrumors member

It's definitely the EQ

I just went back and checked out the EQ setting in the equalizer window. After turning the EQ on and then off, the full fidelity seems to magically return. It is actually something wonky in iTunes but it seems to be fixable.