iTunes erased all my music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elaine353, Nov 2, 2011.

1. elaine353, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

elaine353 macrumors newbie

Hey all, my iTunes has up and deleted all my music. I've tried reimporting the .xml file as a playlist but it says there's an error and only imports like a tenth of my music. Any advice??

I have a MacBook Pro running ios Snow Leopard and I hadn't updated iTunes for quite a while bor=fore this happened. I have since downloaded the latest version.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like it may have only removed the references to your music in iTunes. Did you check to see of the music files are physically present on your computer?

Also as I normally state on these types of threads, the importance of backing up your Mac.

3. elaine353 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have the music on my mac but the only way to reimport is to do each song pretty much individually...and I have a lot of songs. I was hoping there was some other way, plus it deleted my iTunes purchases and my playlists.

I hadn't backed up in a while because i stupidly file vaulted all my files and now Time Machine won't back-up for me...but I think that's another problem for a different thread.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Can't you just grab the folder you have your music and videos in and drag it to iTunes on the dock? You are far from limited to doing each item individually.

The only issue you might have is if you did not have iTunes organize and copy over your music files as they could certainly be scattered from here to eternity across your hard drive.

5. elaine353 thread starter macrumors newbie

That appears to be working, cheers. I was hoping there was some way I could salvage my playlists etc. or is that a lost cause?