iTunes Error 6 When Upgrading to 2.0 -- Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tha80sbrat, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

I tried all day to install 2.0 with no luck. I purchased the 2.0...and when it goes into the final step, I get this message:

The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).

Any ideas? I googled, I went on Apple's site and tried all of their tips and nothing has worked. At this point, I just want my iPod to work again with 1.1.4. :(

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

Seems like it's a rather widespread problem. To try out some solutions take your pick:

http://www.google.com/search?client...unknown+error+occurred+(6)"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edit: Oh, I just realised you've already tried those solutions :-(

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

4. tha80sbrat thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I got it back to 1.1.4. I have no clue why I can't get 2.0.

Hopefully they'll give me a refund.

5. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

I had similar problems. It took me >24 hrs to upgrade to 2.0. I tried everything I could find, including uninstalling and re-installing iTunes and all other Apple app's. Nothing worked and I kept getting this message about 1/2 way through "Restoring iPod software..."

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)."

What finally worked for me was restoring the iPod on a different PC, without syncing any content, and then move back to the original PC to sync. I also found I had to install the new apps first before syncing any other content. Otherwise they didn't work.

I made sure I was using iTunes 7.7 on the other PC and I put a copy of the 2.0 ipsw file in the iPod Software Updates folder. Restore worked fine with no error 6.

I know that it makes no sense that an iPod would restore on one PC and not another, but that's what seems to work.

6. tha80sbrat thread starter macrumors regular

I went from my Macbook to PC in order to restore it back to a 1.1.4. But I also tried to update my touch via the PC and I got the same error. I tried to originally upgrade to 2.0 via my Macbook and got error6. Then I went to my PC, restored it back to 1.1.4, then tried to upgrade to 2.0 and got the same error. This sucks.

7. GhostGregg macrumors newbie

Ok I am having the same problem. Apple does not seem to recognise that this is taking place. I have an e-mail from someone at Itunes saying the problem has been fixed and that I must be doing something wrong.

I have totally wiped my hard drive of any itunes software. Reinstalled it. RE-downloaded the 2.0 firmware. I even had to use my wifes PC to get my ipod touch back to 1.1.5 with all my january software! Then as soon as i try to update to 2.0 THE SAME ERROR!! And it leave my ipod as a brick!

Unkown error (6) is killing me! Whats the deal? am I missing something?

8. tha80sbrat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, mine's still isn't fixed. :( They told me to call, but do they charge for that? I didn't care AppleCare for my ipod. I do have a Best Buy warranty though. I'm hoping that the 2.01 update will fix the problem.

9. GhostGregg macrumors newbie

Anyone have an any better news for us? Perhaps talked to apple presently?

10. GhostGregg macrumors newbie

Just read a thread that stated that someone with w4* serial was able to get 2.0 to load correctly after updating the brick (due to error 6) to 1.1.5.

A few others sent theirs into apple and are getting replacements sent out. Seems that apple is well aware of the problem. BUT WHEN WILL THEY MAKE AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT TO US ON THEIR WEBSITE? I MEAN C'MON APPLE. WE NEED INFO!

11. XoalexaXo135 macrumors newbie

Same problem!!

wanna know whats weird? i am having the same problem so i sent an report to apple and got a call after i sent it in. the guy said that error 6 ment that the ipod was pretty much done in for. so i brought it the Apple store and had an appointment at the genious bar. they took it restored it perfectly fine BUT ON A MAC AND NOT A PC. so i went home all happy and readyy to sync it and the same thing happend again, itunes froze up which froze my ipod i reset it and the same error came up. i am very disappointed with Apple at the moment :mad: