Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Hi guys......i'm running out of hard drive space on my iMac with over 120gig of music/movies within iTunes alone. I have an external with essentially nothing on it. I want to know if it's poss to have an exact version of what we get when we buy our shiny new machine with iTunes but held on an external.
I'd like it so i can have cover flow and tags for my movies etc - I also run :apple:TV.

Is it poss?
If yes...yipee.:)..could i have a basic step by step guide to installation please?

Thanks

AEP

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
Hi There,

Im not to sure what you mean by have an exact version of what we get when we buy our shiny new machine with iTunes but held on an external.

But i would simply copy all your music and vids Etc on to your external, select all your content in iTunes and delete it from your libary.

open up iTunes prefrences and click on the advanced tab, uncheck keep iTunes music folder organized, Copy files to iTunes music folder.

file > add to libary, and navigate to your external and re add all your media. iTunes now wont recopy all your stuff back onto the imac.

your then free to delete all the stuff in iTunes music folder on the imac and free up a lot of space.

iTunes will run just like it always did with all your tags and album artwork in order and all should work well with your :apple:T.V.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.