iTunes export

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monroepq, May 9, 2007.

1. monroepq macrumors newbie

Is there a way to export the entire contents of an iTunes library, including playlists, album artwork, comments, and song ratings, to another computer? In other words I want to make a completely identical copy of my library to go to this other mac. I tried this once simply by transfering the songs and all the playlists and all that happened was that I had the songs with all of the ratings lost and the playlists were empty (since iTunes playlists work off of the location of the songs on the hard drive). Perhaps there's a program to do this?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

I just did that two hours ago.

I copied the "iTunes Music" folder, as well as the files "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml". Seems to have worked.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I would imagine that as long as you copy your ~/Music folder, just about all the information would go along with it. You might want to look in your ~/Library folder for any preferences that exist that are associated with iTunes as well.

Edit: Oops - reflex has quicker fingers than I do :)

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you had also transfered the files "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" you would have kept the same playlists and playcounts.

Basically, if you copy the entire contents of your iTunes folder everything will be preserved.

5. monroepq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy response guys! I will do that.