iTunes External Drive Ripping Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by applemut, May 21, 2011.

1. applemut, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

applemut macrumors newbie

I just bought an external CD-ROM drive, a Samsung SE-S084 which is Mac compatible.

At first the Mac would not recognize the drive. Now it does (for some reason it suddenly started recognizing it.)

But iTunes only starts to rip the disk, then stops. On one occasion, it got as far as starting to rip the first song, then stopped. On another occasion, it stopped just after I asked it to start ripping the disc and an error message said something to the effect of it could not get data from the disc.

This sounds like more of a drive issue, than an iTunes issues. I did a Google search but could not find anything useful about the drive model and use with a Mac.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

3. applemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply simsaladimbamba.

It says 'you can only read.' There are no options to change.

4. simsaladimbamba

What does it say behind Format?
    Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

5. applemut thread starter macrumors newbie

6. simsaladimbamba

Oh, I meant you should check the external HDD as my first post implies.

7. applemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the mis-communication. My original post said "drive." I did not specifically state CD-ROM drive. I updated the original post to now say CD-ROM drive. The issue is that when I tell it to rip a disc, iTunes cannot properly read from this CD-ROM drive (actually its a DVD-ROM drive to be specific).

8. applemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac:
    MacBook2,1

My internal drive works fine, but the reason I am using an external drive is I have a ton of music I need to rip. I don't want to kill the drive on the Mac, which I'm sure in time I will if I don't use the external drive.

9. simsaladimbamba

I ripped over 300 CDs with the internal ODD in my 2007 iMac and the internal ODD is still working fine.

10. applemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood. I quite possibly will have more than that number. It just seemed to make sense to me to spend the little bit of money on the external drive to not risk killing the drive in the Mac.

If I can't get past this technical hurdle with iTunes and the external drive, I may have to choice but to use the internal one, but I would rather not.