Itunes External Hard Drive Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krozza, Jun 17, 2010.

1. krozza macrumors newbie

Ok...Im using windows...

I have a 500+gig music collection on my home PC. The problem is, 275gig is on a Maxtor External HD (my E: Drive) so the pathway for itunes is different than the rest of the collection which is on a Western Digital MyBook 1T (my H: Drive).

I have had no problem until my Maxtor decided to become 'unrecongnisable', thus rendering Itunes unable to find the music on this E Drive.

Somehow, I have been able to 'wake up' the Maxtor by connecting to my lap top, disconnecting, and then re-connecting to my home PC. Sensing a problem, I transferred the 275g of music over to the Mybook 1T and renamed this folder 'Music Maxtor'. Of course, I have a folder called 'Music' on the 1T also.

The problem now is, how do I change the pathway in itunes for all of the music that was originally on the Maxtor?? Do I have to do this manually for EACH SONG!??

I don't want to move the music in the music maxtor folder to the other 'music folder, as some of the file names are the same. eg. I have an Aerosmith folder in both. Should I just rename? Is there an easier way?

OR, can I purchase another external HD and when I connect it, I make it my new E Drive and just transfer the music maxtor folder back to it??? Would that work for itunes??

I know I have created a fair rod for my back here, but what do you do when you run out of room on an ext HD? Or one packs it in...

Im just looking for the easiest and most manageable, hassle free option....

Hope you can help.
    Cheers
    Krozza
    Gold Coast
    Australia.

2. myjay610 macrumors regular

Easiest way would be to change the iTunes music location in preferences then clear out your library and load the music back in from the new source.

3. krozza thread starter macrumors newbie

Excuse me, but I am dumb ok...
    How can I change pathway for the Maxtor tracks only??? AND I want to keep the play count! Maybe, i'm asking too much....I'm actually leaning toward getting another HDD and calling it E Drive.....