iTunes +External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Holmes89, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I have a western digital external hard drive and I have music on there that I want iTunes to access but not copy over to the hard drive, firstly can I have iTunes (and front row) play songs from this drive without copying them over and if so how do I do this?

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Go to iTunes Preferences, click Advanced and under the General tab click 'Change. . .' to choose your Library location (which will be on your external drive).

Deselect 'Keep iTunes Music folder organized' (unless you want this) and you're good to go! :)

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Okay say I have two separate libraries (Audiobooks and regular music) I keep the audiobooks on the external so they don't take up all the space that I have on my laptop and I can keep my regular music on the laptop so I can access it at all times, will this way work or do I leave out the changing of the library location?

4. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Just figured it out, went to Preferences->Advanced-> and clicked Copy Files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library and it worked, thanks for the help.