iTunes Extra and Apple TV Gen 3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by suss2it, Feb 16, 2014.

1. suss2it macrumors regular

Does anyone else find it laughably pathetic that we can't stream iTunes Extras from onto Apple TVs? iTunes Extra seems specifically designed to be viewed on TVs since its suppose to be the replacement/equivalent of DVD special features, and yet Apple foolishly limits it to only computers? Why? And its especially egregious since apparently the older Apple TVs were capable of playing iTunes Extra and iTunes LP.

2. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I have a 1st get which plays the extras just fine, I believe the issue with the new atv's is lack of storage the extras need to be stored locally to work i think.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, the old one has a drive...the newbies don't..that's it. I guess Apple think everybody has media libraries on dedicated devices...I have a Pegasus R4 that contains all my movies, documentaries etc. cheaper bulk storage devices are available..USB 3 works fine. Air Video Server sits in between....it's in the App Store. Think I paid a couple of bucks...turns all my IOS devices into streaming capable units.

The R4 is connected to my iMac....as long as it's in, I can stream anything anyplace....works a charm and you can pick up USB 3 externals for peanuts now.

4. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

They seem to want everyone to have a mac running all the time with iTunes on it, Im waiting to see what the 4th Gen brings to the table before pulling the hammer on my NAS set up. I don't want to stream from the cloud once purchased I want my copy locally with the cloud as a last resort backup.