iTunes Extras - Change Petition

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chopdog, Jan 7, 2014.

1. chopdog, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

chopdog macrumors member

iPads and AppleTV can now be set up by users not owning computers, and movies can be streamed from iCloud. However, when you buy a film with iTunes Extras (like DVD extras), you can only view them if you go to a Mac or PC. You should be able to see the full iTunes Extras content on AppleTV or iPad. iPad is ideal for showing this content as it already has a browser and the touch screen would be ideal for it.

People who buy films on their AppleTV direct are being restricted from seeing all the content they are buying. It also does Apple no favours as their customers arent seeing the full user experience they could get.

Frustratingly, you could view iTunes Extras on the very first Apple TV, but they switched off the feature when they moved to the second model. With films like Prometheus and Avatar including such rich extras content, and Pixar films having glorious HD supporting films that can only be viewed in HD as part of the extras package, then users can not view them without accessing them on a Mac or PC.

(The same goes for iTunes LPs too).

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...unes-extras-to-be-viewed-on-apple-tv-and-ipad

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Has apple ever given an official reason my iTunes extra and LP can't play on iOS devices?

3. chopdog thread starter macrumors member

No

I have always assumed it came down to them removing it to add it back in later to "great acclaim", the way they do. But it never did come....

4. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

I think it was the change from OS X to iOS based software. My guess is that iOS can't (currently) open .ite files

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

These are not files but folders. And they contain pretty standard HTML, CSS and JavaScript stuff. I'm sure aTV also contains WebKit, so the problem must be something else.
    Maybe lack of storage? Because among other things this folder may contain additional videos.

6. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Good point, they can be quite large (easily 500mb+) so size is a problem when streaming to aTV (but not when stored on an iPad?). If you're streaming them over the internet it may take a while before the menus even download which could be quite annoying. Then you would have to wait for all the additional content (eg deleted scenes etc) to download which may take it over 8gb threshold on aTV.

I think the next aTV model (whether full size or not) will have some sort of capability to download and play them. There have been that many complaints. I'm also waiting for them to add the format for TV shows - Breaking Bad being the example in case.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This I understand. but if I have already downloaded the files to my Mac, why can't the Apple TV stream them like other video files?