Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I've just re-downloaded a few digital copies from iTunes, and noticed that some of them now come with the iTunes Extras files. If you have some digital copies, and would like the iTunes Extras, it might be worth re-downloading to see if you get them as well. :D

For me, I managed to get the iTunes Extras for (500) Days of Summer (UK DVD) and Super 8 (UK Blu-Ray). When I first registered both, I only got the movie file.

Edit: Don't delete any movies that aren't listed in Purchases - you might not be able to re-download.
Edit 2: Apparently it may work if you re-try the digital copy code. Make sure you keep your original files just in case.

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
So what do I do, just delete and download again? I am concerned as they came with a blu-ray, yet don't show up in my purchases?

stordoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
If they don't show up in Purchases, I don't think you can re-download them (I'll edit this warning into the first post). About 90% of mine do, so I just downloaded from there.

I was setting up a new MacBook, and just re-downloaded all of my movies from Purchases (those that are available anyway) to make sure I had the latest versions (1080p instead of 720p etc.). After downloading, I noticed my iTunes Extras smart playlist had some new entries, which is what made me check.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
If they don't show up in Purchases, I don't think you can re-download them (I'll edit this warning into the first post). About 90% of mine do, so I just downloaded from there.

I was setting up a new MacBook, and just re-downloaded all of my movies from Purchases (those that are available anyway) to make sure I had the latest versions (1080p instead of 720p etc.). After downloading, I noticed my iTunes Extras smart playlist had some new entries, which is what made me check.

Well, what I have done is delete them but kept them in the trash can. I then inputted the code again via iTunes and it lets me download again! So now they are available in the cloud. However so far, none of them are HD and non come with extras.

I could not get Star Trek to work, so might email Paramount.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, what I have done is delete them but kept them in the trash can. I then inputted the code again via iTunes and it lets me download again! So now they are available in the cloud. However so far, none of them are HD and non come with extras.
You should not have to re-enter the code. Just go into the "Purchased" section in the iTunes store (*not* the one in the iTunes navigation bar on the left!). There you will find all movies, TV shows etc. that you can re-download.

One movie where I got iTunes extras when re-downloading was "The Dark Knight" (US Blu-ray).

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
You should not have to re-enter the code. Just go into the "Purchased" section in the iTunes store (*not* the one in the iTunes navigation bar on the left!). There you will find all movies, TV shows etc. that you can re-download.

One movie where I got iTunes extras when re-downloading was "The Dark Knight" (US Blu-ray).

That is what I did, they were not there.

doctorcrentist

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011

Followed these steps with Inception, Toy Story 3, Up, Tangled, and Cars 2 and the 720p version is the only one listed in the "purchased" section of the iTunes store. My preferences are set to download 1080p when available. In the purchased section of the iTunes store it appears that I can "hide" these titles, but I don't see an other way of downloading them in 1080p. Anyone try these titles specifically or experience a similar issue with other titles and find a solution?

Thanks.

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the info in this thread. I tried this out on both my accounts (US and UK) and had pretty good luck for the most part. These are all from iTunes redemptions codes attached to Blu-Rays...

I was able to upgrade all of the following from their original downloads to the newer files (still SD) with Extras:

Iron Man 2 (UK)
Captain America (UK)
Star Trek (US)
The Dark Knight (US)
The Incredibles (US)
Up (UK)

I was also able to upgrade all of the following from the older 720p files to 1080p files and it retained the SD, 720 and 1080 files for each (very nice to have) as well as including the Extras now (where applicable):

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (UK)
The Social Network (UK)
Mulholland Drive (UK)
Kill Bill 2 (UK)
The Goon (US)
Time Bandits (US)

Very cool :) Thank you.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
When I bought the blu-ray of "Jaws" i could download the hd version.....however, for all the previous movies it was SD.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
That is what I did, they were not there.

I haven't redeemed digital copies so I don't know if this will work, but when I went to re-download Avengers due to the subtitle problem in iTunes' original release, it didn't show up in my purchases. I went to the Avengers movie page, clicked Buy in HD, and a pop-up message appeared saying that I've already bought this movie and I can download it again. Would that maybe work if you've entered the code before into iTunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.