iTunes Extras

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, Sep 10, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Now that movies in iTunes come with extra features, does this mean that DVD's that a Digital Copy of the movies will also contain Digital copies of the extra features?

Regards

2. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Most likely, no. Apple is offering these new movie downloads with extras in order to compete with DVDs, which also offer the same extras. It's not a supplement, but direct competition.

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see.

I thought the Digital Copy included in some DVDs was an iTunes copy - was I wrong?? Is it nothing to do with Apple, just a video file that is compatible with iTunes??

Also is it allowed here to ask a question about converting a DVD movie into iTunes??

4. timothytripp macrumors newbie

Definitely not supported

I bought BluRay Wall-E and Dark Knight, and both are not letting me access the iTunes extras even though I was able to download the iTunes copies of the videos. As stated earlier they're probably just trying to compete with DVDs but in my opinion it's not really necessary to block out people with a digital copy, just offer a few extra options that you can ONLY get through the iTunes version - Ringtones with sound clips from the movie or from the soundtrack would be my suggestion - I'm sure Apple could pull that off with the publishers...

5. timothytripp macrumors newbie

Extras not included with rentals?

Why not?? One of the reasons I rent with Netflix is that I DO get the director's commentaries and "Making Of" segments. On 2-disc special editions I don't bother but if it's on the same DVD that's a missed opportunity for Apple to let me access the special features during the rental period. Guess I'll just keep using Netflix until they address this...

On the subject, if Apple offered a monthly subscription with Netflix-Instant-View equivalent "All you can view" digital-only rentals I would jump on that in a heartbeat, especially if I could somehow watch those movies on my iPhone 3Gs, which I can't do on Netflix. It would need to be under $25.00 as that's what I'm paying Netflix for their instant-view service WITH 4 DVDs at a time (we watch a lot of movies!).