iTunes failed to bak up iPad to computer because "the storage is full."

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joshhoff23, Aug 20, 2017.

1. joshhoff23 macrumors newbie

I have been having a problem when trying to back up my 64GB iPad Air to iTunes. My iCloud storage is full, so I was hoping iTunes would keep my iPad data safe. I have backed it up before when I got my MacBook, but I wanted to update the backup. My iPad is on iOS 10.3.2, and my MacBook is on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. The MacBook has 512GB of SSD storage, and I have used 100GB so far, so the storage is definetly not full. When I tried to back it up to iTunes (the iPad) it said the storage is full on this computer. I did a restart and reset, but that didn't help. I cannot wipe the data on the computer because it hasn't been backed up yet. Do you know how I can fix this error? Thanks!

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have timemachine on? If you do the clear it to your backup drive or clear it or deselect timemachine.

3. joshhoff23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't backed the computer up yet. I just bought a drive and I don't know how to use Time Machine.
    I also have 380GB available on my computer and my iPad is the 64GB model.

4. Frosties, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

[​IMG] What happens if you do a sync? Change auto to computer from iCloud? Still the same? Have rebooted the iPad?

5. joshhoff23 thread starter macrumors newbie

It said “iTunes could not complete the backup of this iPad because not enough space is available on this computer” and gave me suggestions on how to clear up space. I restarted my iPad and checked the storage on my computer. It said there was 385GB available.

6. jwflutterby macrumors regular

Did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same boat right now, 350 Gb free yet getting error there is not enough free space to back up my iPhone... I was on Mavericks but then when I went to restore my iPhone 7 backup to my new X it said I didn’t have the right version of iTunes... Couldn’t get iTunes 12.7 on Mavericks so had to do the macOS update first which was annoying... It then decided to clone my iPhoto library to make a Photos library then decided I needed a second copy of the Photos library... Finally have that all taken care of but after several reboots of the Mac and the iPhone I *still* get the not enough free space error!

7. idealcheese macrumors regular

I'm also having this issue and it's driving me bananas. My 256GB iPhone X has only 54GB of space being used. My MacBookPro has over 200GB of space available. And yet iTunes is telling me there isn't enough space to back it up. I've deleted all previous backups just in case. I've never managed to back up this iPhone since I got it in December, so I can't rule out an issue with the phone itself, but that seems unlikely. Any one have a clue how to fix this? Thanks.

8. jj.tango, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

jj.tango macrumors newbie

jj.tango

Going to bump this up, I’m having this issue as well. MacBookPro has 230GBs space on it, iPhone X report shows the next backup will be 65GBs. ITunes is up to date and my OS on the MBP is current. I recently updated to iOS 12 on the iPhone X, and was able to sync to my laptop prior to this.

I receive the error that I can’t do the backup because the MBP doens’t have enough open space.

I had 2 different Apple reps/engineers take over my computer and still couldn’t figure it out. AND tomorrow I get my iPhone XS Max.

Any ideas would be great!

UPDATE: I got it to work, cleared a little more space to test something, I think you have to have the total memory of your iphone/ipad free on your computer - so I made sure I have 256GBs free and the sync worked. Stupid that several Apple peeps did not know this and stupid that I need to have matching memory free when my backup was only 65GBs.