iTunes failed to migrate! Help please.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tejaykay, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

So I just followed a guide as posted to me in an earlier thread. I copied the entire music folder from my old library onto the local drive and changed the iTunes folder location of the library in preferences. It began updating itself and then asked halfway whether I'd like to continue using iTunes to keep my music organised. Of course, I said yes. For some reason half my collection now has exclamation marks next to the songs saying it doesn't know where the file is, although it is all in there. I can't go through over 30GB of files pointing iTunes in the right direction!

Any idea what I should do. It has kept my metadata intact. Shall I copy the library.xml file and then delete the entire music collection. The point it back at the external drive and then move the music by hitting consolidate to the new local hard disk??

Literally shaking with panic....:mad:

Thanks all.

2. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Instead of pointing itunes in the direction of every file. Can I not point it to the right location for every album, as it seems it can't locate whole albums then occasionally individual songs from other albums. Thanks again.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Is your music still in the folders?

If it is, just delete your library from itunes making sure to select keep the files. Then just readd the folder to the library.

Please confirm with someone else before doing this. Don't want to be blamed for loss of your data!

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

If you followed this Apple article step by step it should have worked.

5. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Apple's article is pretty poor. I solved the problem though. Wiped the whole library then copied in all the itunes data files from my old powerbook and consolidated again. This time it worked.