Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottfire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
My PC's additional hard drive is formated NTFS; this is also where my iTunes music folder is. Will there be a problem transfering this folder onto my iPod and then putting it on my new Mac Book Pro if the initial folder is on a NTFS drive. I also am doing a Iomega 500gb USB hard drive (formated Fat 32, which I want) because of a PC in the network.

Is my iPod now NTFS

Is the music in NTSF format

Is this even an issue?

THanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The Mac will only be able to READ the NTFS volume unless you serve it to the Mac via the PC or pull it up in Windows on the Mac.

But otherwise, it's not a problem. You only really need to read it anyways. The iPod is always FAT32, unless it's an older one, in which case it might be MacHFS+ (mine is). It's NEVER NTFS. And it really isn't an issue what system it uses.

Scottfire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Ok that makes since...................
So, when my new 500 gb Iomega is connected to the New Airport Extreme it will also be a FAT 32 HD and everyone will play with each other, PC, MBP and Airport Extreme.
:)

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
You do lose some inefficacy, but you gain in flexibility.

You can always copy from an NTFS drive, you just can't change anything if your using it on a PC/Linux machine.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
My PC's additional hard drive is formated NTFS; this is also where my iTunes music folder is. Will there be a problem transfering this folder onto my iPod and then putting it on my new Mac Book Pro if the initial folder is on a NTFS drive. I also am doing a Iomega 500gb USB hard drive (formated Fat 32, which I want) because of a PC in the network.

Is my iPod now NTFS

Is the music in NTSF format

Is this even an issue?

THanks

Copying files and folders from an NTFS drive to a FAT32 drive will NOT make the FAT32 drive into an NTFS drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.