iTunes file folder not same as iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 88888888, Jan 31, 2009.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Ok, i have a question. My itunes library shows 65 gigs but when i look at my itunes folder it says 81 gigs. How do i make it so the folder is in sync with my itunes?

Would making a copy of the songs from my itunes then pasting it. and deleting the old one be ok?

Cause i transferred my friends music into my computer and i deleted a significant amount of music. probably at least 10. i always choose the option that says move file to recycle bin Not just delete from playlist. but when i check my itunes folder, the file is still there... do I have to manually delete it?

thanks.:confused:

2. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Possibly

When i was running iTunes in Windows i found that if i tried to delete a Podcast that i had just listened to, itunes would delete the entry but the file remained.... only if i played something else 1st THEN deleted would it actually go.

sometime to do with file locking i guess

What you can do is plug in a USB hard drive, change the itunes folder location to that new drive, then perform a "Consolidate library" ... which basically copies every file that itunes is listing to the new location .... you can then delete the original location, then reverse the process to have it back where you want it

Note on the above: you must have "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised" and "Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library" checked

I still do this every now and then just to make sure i'm not wasting some gigs

4. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a