Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
I'll try this again.

I have an external drive that has all of my music stored on it. I already have been using iTunes with the external drive and have all my artwork and play lists setup. I want to move the music files to my internal drive on my 24" iMac. What do I need to do in order to move the files and not lose my artwork and playlists?

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I think I can help.

Quit iTunes and relaunch it while holding down the "option" key. Create a new music library (put it in your "Music" folder).

After you have done that, go to "Preferences" and make sure that the two boxes "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

Next, go to "File", "Library", and click "Import Playlist...". Navigate to your original iTunes Library folder and double click on the file "iTunes Library.xml". This will now start copying over all of your music to your internal drive.

After this is all done, make sure everything looks right, and you can go ahead and delete the stuff on your external drive if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.