iTunes file transfer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AJ.G, Mar 1, 2011.

1. AJ.G macrumors member

Hello Macrumors,

I want to know what happens with iTunes music transfers...
    If I connect my iPod to my friends laptop, sync my music using his laptop,
    Can I then take those songs and transfer them ti my computer?

Also, is there anything else I needa do before?

All the best,

AJ-

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

This won't work. iPods were designed specifically to keep you from doing this. If you sync with your friend's library you will get all his music, but if you then try to sync to your own library, itunes will erase the ipod and fill it with the music you already have.

If you are intent on doing this then just use a flash drive or external hard drive. An iPod won't work.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I used to put my sisters iPod on manually manage and she could get all the music from my computer and her computer on her own iPod. This was with a touch, once she tried to add to more than five computers then it said he couldn't add more. This was probably two years ago but it may have changed then. I knew of a program like a really long time ago that would let you take music from an iPod and transfer it into iTunes, I can't remember the name of it but my friend had it with one of the early models.

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I would just check manually manage and use as hard disk. Then find the itunes music folder on the computer and drag it over to the ipod. Do not use the itunes program for that. However, that is technically stealing music.

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I thought you can't play the music if you transferred the actual file? I assume he wants to play the music on his iPod.

6. denisroland macrumors newbie

I use Air Sharing HD on my iPad to do exactly what you want to do. This may be the most applications of the USB transmission interface, so if you do not use the air sharing the hard disk.

7. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I used copy trans when I transfer from one computer to another.