iTunes, Firefox, etc. close unexpectedly during use ("Application not responding")

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bessopal, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bessopal macrumors newbie

I have the white MacBook, I've had it about 2 years now. I was wondering if maybe I have too much on my hard drive and that is why my most commonly used applications have suddenly begun to close mid-use. I've never had this problem before and have recently uploaded quite a bit of music/photos to my MacBook, so it seems to be the only logical explanation for it? Or, I don't think I could've gotten a virus because 1. I'm very cautious about the files I download and 2. I don't think Macs are susceptible to most viruses. I could be wrong, though.

Nonetheless, does anyone know of any solution for this?

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Repair disk permissions would probably be your best bet.
    (Disk utility -> Click on your hard drive on the left -> verify/repair disk permissions button)

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If repairing permissions doesn't work, you're probably looking at a re-install of some sort. To be honest, whenever this happens and it's not RAM causing it, I have yet to determine the problem and how to fix it. I'm willing to bet, the same would happen if you create a new user and run the application in there as well?

4. bessopal thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the verify/repair disk permissions and it said "Error: No valid packages" Not sure what that means, but I'm going to attempt to create a new user and see if that works at all.

If it doesn't, I have to stop by Easton anyways so should I drop by the Mac store and get it checked out?

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

You might as well, Apple Geniuses will likely diagnose the problem much quicker and more accurately than we can here.