General Itunes fix for TaiG 8.3 Jailbreak

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I'm confused. The way things have always worked. I always installed the latest jailbreakable firmware on iTunes and then used whatever jailbreaking software was out to jailbreak!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
World
The jailbreak is using certain x86 dll's which are unavailable in some x64 itunes versions.

Jailbreaks almost never depend on the same mechanism, in this case for some users it is neccessary to get a itunes version which includes those dll's

Also it appears that contrary to what was first stated, OTA may pose a problem.

In any case it is recommended to use a vanilla 8.3 firmware install via itunes.

Reactions: IrishVixen

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I dont want to reinstall iTunes on my main computer. Can I restore to 8.3 on my main computer with the latest iTunes and then just install Taig and the old version of iTunes on my old laptop and use the laptop to do the jailbreak?

killerbot

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
Best to wait an update of the jailbreak (maybe it's a TaiG kernel issue according to what I've read)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm just going to wait for the Mac version to come out. This Taig version for Windows just doesn't work for me using the old iTunes version.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm just going to wait for the Mac version to come out. This Taig version for Windows just doesn't work for me using the old iTunes version.
Didn't the Mac version take a month or more last time?

I think I made it three days that time--VM was not working well on an elderly, already dying MBP, so I went out and bought a tiny $150 Windows laptop just for jailbreaking. My husband thought I was nuts.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Didn't the Mac version take a month or more last time?

I think I made it three days that time--VM was not working well on an elderly, already dying MBP, so I went out and bought a tiny $150 Windows laptop just for jailbreaking. My husband thought I was nuts.
I have a Surface Pro 3 that I am keeping just for this. I can't get the JB to work on it.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I had to install iTunes 12.0.1 (mine is 64, and works) and it worked perfectly fine. Just make sure you uninstall any older versions first, and disable passcode and find iPhone. Took about 2-3 minutes total for the device to go through the process and reboot, etc.

I'm sure an update to substrate will come quickly, most of the stuff I've installed so far works (filza, and openssh mainly).

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I did a fresh install, followed all the instructions (passcode and find my iPhone disabled) and installed the old iTunes and it fails. Even downloaded the 32bit iTunes but that won't install on 64bit Windows.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
FWIW, what I had to do was downgrade to iTunes 12.0.1, do a DFU install on my iPhone, and then jailbreak it before I did the activation/initiation process. I don't know why it would only work like that but using the same software it wouldn't jailbreak if I had initiated the phone. I did have FMI turned off, wifi off, no passcode, etc. It just wouldn't work like that. On a whim, I tried jailbreaking it before it was initiated and it worked.

bclizzle

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
So im still running 8.0, I wouldnt mind upgrading to 8.3... should i do the update today to 8.3 before the new one comes out tomorrow and then wait until these JB issues seem to be resolved?

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
So im still running 8.0, I wouldnt mind upgrading to 8.3... should i do the update today to 8.3 before the new one comes out tomorrow and then wait until these JB issues seem to be resolved?
I'd wait. I updated and there isn't much you can do until it's updated.