iTunes & fixing metadata

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by E3BK, Mar 28, 2014.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I've done a fair amount of Googling on this and most of the app reviews, lists & suggestions on it are old or just outdated. But my poor iTunes library needs help.

It started out trying to fix Genius because it never makes playlists. But I'm giving up on it. Genius is terrible. So is Radio. TuneUp is a little finicky based on the trial version I downloaded. It's not really very good and doesn't allow you to override certain things.

I also downloaded BeaTunes 3 and it seems to do what I'm looking for but since the trial version doesn't allow you to make the actual changes, just a view of what's wrong w/ your library and what it *can* change. So I can't see if fixing it in BeaTunes will actually update the info in iTunes. Anyone have thoughts on this app?

Any other apps I should consider that are still in production? Many have died and no longer being updated.

PS...for a playlist generator, Groove for iOS is GREAT. I just with there was a Mac desktop app to go with it.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My iTunes library works perfectly after 10 years.

iTunes grabs correct CD metadata just about all the time.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Same here, my only complaint would be that too much stuff is categorized as 'Rock', but that is not an iTunes-specific issue.

A.

4. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm very glad that this is the case for you. Do you have any recommendations regarding my original post?

5. Consultant, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Rip original cds and iTunes will get you the correct metadata.

You do own the CDs right?

6. E3BK, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I do...there are many. Not an option at this point.

My library is 20K+. Some are vinyl and some are rare, which is why I let my friends w/ the proper equipment rip them for me and then I imported them.

But thanks for the helpful advice.

7. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I can change those but with a large library it's hard to find the errors. the NERD albums have been imported as NERD, N*E*R*D* AND N.E.R.D. Not to mention the numerous iterations of "Alternative" Alt Rock, Alt Folk, Alt Pop, etc. There are just so many ways things have been classified on import. I've already spent a lot of time trying to fix manually :(

I do like how BeaTunes find the inconsistencies but can't confirm if the changes carry over to iTunes w/o having to reimport the whole library. I'm happy to pay for it if it does but haven't gotten an answer from the developer and it isn't explicitly stated in reviews I've found.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I have a good collection myself. I've been ripping to uncompressed music for 10+ years.

When the album is not tagged, I take the time to make sure each album is tagged properly.

None of your "friends" care enough to tag the files properly?

9. ijabz, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

ijabz macrumors newbie

ijabz

When you are looking for similar software to an application you already know about I find http://alternativeto.net very useful, then once you have a list you can try them out.

A 'correct music library' is actually more subjective then you might think so you need to try a few things out yourself before committing.