iTunes Folder Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thadchr, Jun 13, 2007.

1. thadchr macrumors member

thadchr

I've been importing my CDs using MusicMatch Jukebox for years now because I felt it helped me keep my music folder more organized. After I'd imported the CD I'd simply drag the finished folder into my iTunes, because obviously iTunes is the best music player around. Well, I'm finally about to buy a Mac:apple: :D , so I decided I'd start importing CDs using iTunes to get a feel for how it works.

Anyway, I'm running into major issues now. I changed my iTunes preferences so that my "iTunes music folder location" is the same location that I previously stored all my imported music from Musicmatch. However, now if I edit the song file--or even the folder that it's in--in any way, my iTunes can no longer find it. Previously this wasn't an issue, because as soon as I dragged the music folder into iTunes, it copied it to a seperate iTunes music folder, and therefore I'd just change any incorrect song information in iTunes and in my designated "music" folder.

Is there any way to better to link iTunes to my old music folder, so that changing song info in iTunes also changes it in my master folder? Any help would be appreciated.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Just let iTunes manage and store your music. That way they'll be organized perfectly in both iTunes and the finder. Set it to that, then drag your entire old folder into iTunes to copy it in.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

In the iTunes preferences there's an option that says "Keep iTunes Folder organized". If that option is checked it will automatically "place files into albums with other artists according to the dick number track number etc.."
    If that's checked and your changing files (names or location), then iTunes will not know that your changed it and will not be able to find the file because it's no longer the file that it had previously named it.
    I would try unchecking* that box, especially if you want your files to be names according to your own personal filing system, and see if it will still find the music file that you changed.

*Disclaimer. I´ve always let iTunes do it automatically so this is my best guess.;)