iTunes folder on server linked to several Macs question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rhett7660, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Preface:

I have a Windows XP Machine playing server for my Media.

Running iTunes.

Media_1 is the iTunes Folder
    Media_2 is the actually media

Running iTunes on mac pro and Mac Mini. Each one is using the folder to stream music and movies to. Also have an AppleTV connected to the server for the Media files.

Question:

If I was to check "let iTunes Manage" my music. Would this copy over all of my music files? So I could just use the one folder? Would I have to reload all my files within iTunes? I just want to make sure before I do this.

Also if I do, do this, anytime I add a new record/cd/song will it automatically load it up within iTunes?

IE I load a song into the main iTunes folder which are all linked to my other two Macs on the network.

The song is then loaded up on the two Macs automatically? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

You can use a single folder for all the music but the problem is iTunes won't see any changes made by the other instances. As for sharing a single database, this is a REALLY bad idea unless you like corrupting things; iTunes was never designed for that sort of usage. The Manage and copy options pertain to whatever the current iTunes music folder is; manage will organize things in a Artist/CD/Song hierarchy, copy on add with copy things into this folder. Like I said earlier, however, iTunes does not watch this folder for additions, it only cares about what you add to that individual instance and what is stored in it's iTunesDB file.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I was afraid of. I will keep things the way they are. I have been doing this for some time without any problems. I was trying to see if there was a way to help automate some of the leg work that is all.

Thanks for replying.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I add the file to each computer. IE Add to library on each computer. If it is something I will want and the wife doesn't and vise versa, I don't load it up on the respective computer. All the songs get loaded up on the main server for the appletv thou.

6. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'll second that. Knowing that there are many others with essentially one iTunes library that they intend to have accessed/updated/used by multiple computers I'm sure your current solution would be of interest to a lot of people.

Sorry, didn't see you already replied.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Although it's probably not the ideal answer, you might want to check out Amarok. I've been using that for the last couple of years to allow my Linux boxes to use my music library. I have iTunes managing everything on my main system and I have the music folder exported as a share; everything else just accesses that share. Amarok works nicely for this as it does have the capability to watch a folder for changes. IIRC there isn't an 'official' build for Mac OS X and Windows but there is an unofficial one. Just be warned, the UI is a bit...odd.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That is the trade off of extremely fast database cataloged model vs manual organization model.

There is a script for OSX to auto update iTunes library.

9. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have seen a script to throw out files that are no longer linked. Can you please provide a link to the script you are referring to?

That is something I have been looking for, for a while!! That would make life easier...

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, it sure would be a nice feature for Apple to build into iTunes instead of the kludgy workaround. "Sharing" libraries isn't a great alternative.

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

It's the perfect way for them to enter the home server market. Assuming they do, I just wonder if they would make managing a library on multiple computers an iTunes feature (so that it can be used with ANY usb hard drive, nas, server, etc) or if they would sell a home server and make the ability to run/manage/edit/save an iTunes library across multiple computers a feature of that server so you would have to buy that... either way I would buy it because I haven't invested much money in my current 'server' (for lack of a better term) but i would bet people with their own servers that have spent hundreds of dollars on (equip and hard drives) would be pretty pissed if Apple (again assuming they even do this) required THEIR home server to be used in managing a library on multiple computers.

12. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

If this apple did it so you could either have a software based itunes server on your existing setup or purchase their server with the itunes software. That would be great!!!!!

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

okay. so you have 1 main computer (server) that has itunes running with all the songs? and your other computers are using the folder on that server for their itunes folder?

so do you have any videos in your itunes library? and if so, do you have any lag with this setup?

14. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is correct. One main box where the library is housed along with the media. The other two computers have itunes running but the music is streamed. Same for the apple tv.

Yes I have over 1tb of movies so far (still ripping but running out of room quick). No lag what so ever. My system is all hard wired no wireless.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

gotcha. yeah, with wireless, you would have lag with videos. but nice system setup. i cannot run this, since i have to have wireless.

16. srexy macrumors 6502a

Sorry to resurrect an old-ish thread but this is exactly what I'm doing right now.

My media is all stored on a Mac Mini which acts as the main HTPC for my HDTV setup. I'm sharing the media folder for wireless streaming to an :apple:tv and the music is in a separate folder shared for the other 2 macs in the house to connect to for iTunes. One of the Macs is just streaming the shared library - but the other is the one that syncs iPhones etc so it has to have a live db of iTunes running.

My question for the OP is - when you get a VA album and add it to one iTunes does iTunes look to split it up into artist directories and if so - how do you then add it to your second/3rd Mac's iTunes if you have to run all over the planet to round up the individual tracks? I just did this with 4 VA albums and by some mysterious process they appear to have been added to both libraries. I'm completely mystified as to how this happened as it makes no sense to me but would like to know.

On a related note - why isn't there a user-friendly Mac Firefly app available to serve up iTunes for SoHo use?

17. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't let iTunes rip my cd's.... So I have the VA ripped into one folder. I do however when it is all said and done for a VA album I use iTunes and I make sure to have the following field filled out see screen cap. Keeps the VA together, sort of......

Attached Files:

18. srexy macrumors 6502a

Not so much the ripping but when importing into iTunes it seems to want to break every VA album up by artist and arrange them higgledy-piggledy all over my iTunes folder.

I think I may have figured out the solution - I unchecked the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and it seems now to want to keep all the stuff in the same folder.